top of page
From 1780 until the end of the Revolution Williamsburg District was a hot bed of rebellion and skirmishes. The fabled band known as “Marion’s Brigade” was born at Witherspoon’s Ferry (near the present town of Johnsonville) on Sept. 17, 1780. Marion drew support from local citizens and the grounds of the Courthouse were reportedly used for musters during the war.
Battle of Kingstree (Aug. 27, 1780):
Major Wemyss arrived at the King’s Tree after he laid waste to a tract of country between Black River and the Pee Dee. He was met by Major James and there was severe conflict resulting in Wemyss’ withdrawal. He continued on the road from Indiantown to Georgetown where he burned Indiantown Presbyterian church and the home of
Battle of Black Mingo (Sept. 28-29, 1780):
Marion and his men crossed the bridge at Willtown at night, awakening the British who were camped at the Red House Tavern. A sharp engagement took place as Marion held his ground for two days, before sending the British back to Georgetown. This battle was a turning point of the Revolutionary War in the South.
Mt. Hope Swamp (March, 1781):
Marion contested Col. Watson’s advance after bridges were burned that crossed Mt. Hope swamp. Watson succeeded by shelling the swamps and driving out Marion’s men.
Battle of the Lower Bridge (March, 1781):
McCottry’s expert riflemen successfully defeated the British as they tried to cross Black River. This defeat of Watson at the Lower Bridge possibly saved Marion’s Brigade from destruction.
* Most of these sites are either on private property or inaccessible due to woodlands or swamps.
bottom of page